With approximately $44 billion in revenues, Kaiser Permanente is America’s largest nonprofit health plan and integrated delivery system.Named after Henry Kaiser, the company has grown from a 12-bed hospital into a fully integrated health delivery system serving 8.9 million members in nine states and the District of Columbia.
Kaiser Permanente operates in seven major markets including: California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Ohio, Northwest (Oregon and Washington), and Mid-Atlantic States (Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia).Care to Kaiser Permanente health plan members is provided primarily through Kaiser Permanente owned and operated hospitals (31), medical clinics, and over 11,000 physicians who are partners or employees of the Permanente Medical Groups. Kaiser Permanente has some 165,000 employees nationwide. Kaiser Permanente is a nationally and internationally recognized innovator in the provision of high quality, coordinated, evidence based health care.A significant volume of services in several regions is also provided through contracted networks of community hospitals, physicians, and other providers.
KAISER PERMANENTE – HAWAII region:
Today, Hawaii serves nearly 230,000 medical members whose care is largely provided by the Hawaii Permanente Medical Group.Kaiser Permanente Hawaii (KPHI) is made up of approximately 4,400 employees and nearly 500 physicians and provides and arranges medical care exclusively for health plan members. Annual total revenues for the Hawaii business unit are estimated at more than $1 billion.In the Hawaii Region, Kaiser Permanente operates 26 medical offices, and 1 hospital (300 beds), and is affiliated with 5 hospitals.
Kaiser Permanente began operating in Hawaii 50 years ago with the social purpose of improving the health of the communities we serve.Today, we fulfill that purpose through a variety of efforts including corporate contributions, donations of surplus property, in-kind contributions, and the volunteer ambassador program. Additionally, Hawaii has a comprehensive $600 million capital spending program over the next 10 years (part of the largest building program in the history of health care) in support of Kaiser Permanente’s expansion, mission, and profitability. The program focuses on building out the single site inpatient facility as well as our medical office buildings and related facilities.
The Marketing, Sales and Business Development Vice President (MSBD VP) is a key leader in the Marketing, Sales, Service and Administration (MSSA) organization.The MSSA organization is accountable for taking Kaiser Permanente’s integrated health care program into the health insurance market to compete for members with other health insurance companies.The MSSA organization encompasses both region and enterprise activities in a highly matrixed organizational structure.
As Kaiser Permanente has built considerable momentum in recent years in substantially improving our value as an integrated delivery system, we continue to improve the impact of the MSSA organization in terms of our competitive position, growth, service and performance in the health insurance marketplace.Areas of focus include:
Broader product portfolio that meets market demands and;
- Improves focus of market on Kaiser Permanente’s value as an integrated delivery system;
- Responds to purchaser demand for health benefit products that mitigate rising premiums through higher levels of consumer cost sharing;
- Allows Kaiser Permanente to serve as a “total replacement” health benefits provider to small and mid-size employers seeking a single source of health benefits as a vehicle to build membership in our Permanente delivery system;
- Responds to purchaser and consumer requirements for Health Savings Accounts, flexible spending accounts and other arrangements that facilitate payment of out-of-pocket health care costs; and
- Incorporates complementary products, as well as service and benefit innovations, that meet market needs and leverage Kaiser Permanente’s distinctive capabilities.
Competitive actuarial, pricing and underwriting capabilities that:
- Respond to purchaser demand for premium pricing arrangements that better match premiums to group specific risk and costs; and
- Facilitate membership growth, financial performance and management of the health and demographic risk of Kaiser Permanente’s membership.
Supports market-leading brand management that:
- Effectively communicates and promotes the benefits and characteristics of Kaiser Permanente’s integrated care delivery to current and prospective purchasers, as well as other stakeholders; and
- Supports development, protection and promotion of a powerful brand and superior reputation.
Effective sales, account management and distribution strategies and practices that:
- Focus on well-defined strategies and tactics for each line of business;
- Produce predictable results through consistent execution of plans;
- Effectively serve purchasers and distribution channel partners;
- Attract, train, support, reward and retain highly skilled and high performing sales and account management professionals;
- Employ leading practices, business systems and information technologies; and
- Promote the distinctive characteristics and capabilities of Kaiser Permanente and its model of health care delivery.
Effective and efficient administrative and service functions:
- Membership administration and billing
- Benefits administration
- Outside provider network management
- Telephonic and web based customer contact and service centers
MSBD VP POSITION SUMMARY
The MSBD VP is a key member of the region’s executive team, providing leadership in the development and execution of line of business strategies which deliver predictable and sustainable growth in membership and margin. The MSBD VP is expected to lead around the importance of positioning the Kaiser Permanente value as an integrated care delivery system in the regional health insurance marketplace.The MSBD VP position requires general management skills appropriate for a regional organization that is part of a large complex multi-regional enterprise.In addition to driving membership and margin growth in the region, the MSBD VP is expected to participate in and provide leadership in MSSA enterprise forums and workgroups which support improvement in our enterprise capabilities and performance.
The expectations for the MSBD VP role include:
- Positioning Kaiser Permanente in client organizations by establishing critical relationships and representing Kaiser Permanente Hawaii as the senior sales executive in the regional marketplace, and in broader context on behalf of the enterprise.
- Creating and communicating a clear marketing, sales, and business development strategy across all of Kaiser Permanente Hawaii’s lines of business which deliver member and margin growth for the region.
- Building and sustaining high performing sales and account management teams which are characterized by a disciplined focus on activities which drive business results.
- Building and sustaining high performing product and line of business planning capabilities.
- Building and sustaining underwriting capabilities which are responsive to market demands for timeliness and accuracy of quotes, while ensuring adherence to underwriting guidelines and pricing discipline which achieves targeted revenue for the region.
- Building and sustaining efficient sales operations to provide administrative and systems support for sales, account management and underwriting functions, while ensuring an effective hand-off of sold business to the service and administration functions.
- Ensuring that market forces, customer needs and competitive challenges are well understood by senior health plan and medical group leadership in the region to impact operational and strategic planning
- Coordinating work with national functional leaders and shared services.Integrating this work into the line of business strategies and execution in the region.
The MSBD VP works closely with the region’s health plan and medical group senior management teams to set and support strategic direction for the region.This position is matrixed within the organization, providing influence and support to national line of business activities such as national accounts, Medicare and Kaiser Permanente Individual and Family, while sharing responsibilities with the national leadership for underwriting and strategic planning.This position is also a key member of the national MSSA leadership group led by the Executive Vice President of Health Plan Operations in the Program Office.
Specifically, the key relationships for this role include the regional health plan, delivery and medical group leadership, region brand and marketing leaders, national pricing leadership other regional MSBD VPs, and other national program office leaders.
Growth & Market Positioning:
- Develop, communicate and execute a clear growth strategy for the region.
- Effectively promote the benefits and characteristics of Kaiser Permanente integrated care delivery to current and prospective purchasers, as well as other stakeholders.
- Represent Kaiser Permanente as a senior executive in developing relationships at senior levels with clients and in the broker/consulting community.
- Support development, protection, and promotion of a powerful brand and superior reputation.
- Strategically develop and lead the sales, account management and underwriting functions.
- Collaborate with region marketing teams to develop and execute the marketing strategy for growth in existing and new markets.
- Support accurate revenue forecasts and achieve targeted revenue goals.
- Produce a disciplined approach to yield accurate membership forecasts and achieve growth targets.
- Provide input and direct where appropriate the development and enhancement of new products, benefit designs and core competencies.
- Support development and implementation of region marketing strategy.
- Ensure marketing communications link and reinforce integrated communications strategy for internal/external customers that support objectives of local markets and enterprise.
- Collaborate with the region’s marketing group in conducting strategic market assessments including market environments, consumer and group markets, competitive intelligence, forecasting market trends, and cost structure information (responsibilities vary by region).
- Support new market and network development to create ideas for alliances/acquisitions in managing business portfolios (responsibilities vary by region).
Sales, Account Management and Distribution Channel Strategies/Practices:
- Effectively serve purchasers and distribution channel partners.
- Create and communicate a clear marketing, sales, and business development strategy for each of Kaiser Permanente’s lines of business.
- Enhance Kaiser Permanente’s ability to attract, train, support, reward and retain highly skilled and high performing sales and account management professionals.
- Drive a disciplined, highly accountable sales and account management process which focuses market-facing resources on activities which yield the results called for in regional business plans.
- Promote Kaiser Permanente’s distinctive characteristics and capabilities of health care delivery.
- Create a clear focus for targeted sales efforts; especially for next-generation products.
- Establish effective client relationships and clear understanding of client needs.
- Build an effective relationship to optimize region marketing teams to support membership growth.
- Strategically price to assure alignment with strategies for specific, targeted segments within a market.
- Build and energize a high performing marketing, sales, and business development team.
Product Knowledge Accountabilities:
- Develop products which position Kaiser Permanente’s value as an integrated delivery system and respond to purchaser demands for health benefit products that mitigate rising premiums through higher levels of consumer cost sharing.
- Position Kaiser Permanente’s product portfolios to best meet the unique needs of the customers.
- Respond to purchaser and consumer demands for Health Savings Accounts, flexible spending accounts, and other arrangements that facilitate payment of out-of-pocket healthcare costs.
- Incorporate complementary products, as well as service and benefit innovations that meet market needs and leverage Kaiser Permanente’s distinctive capabilities.
- Negotiate major customer agreements.
Pricing and Underwriting Capabilities:
- Respond to purchaser demand for premium pricing arrangements that better match premiums to group-specific risk and costs.
- Facilitate membership growth, financial performance, and management of the health and demographic risk of Kaiser Permanente’s membership.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated appreciation for and interest in the value of integrated care delivery and positioning this value in the health insurance market.
- Demonstrated ability to develop line of business strategies and execution plans.
- Ability to build high performing teams.
- Deep knowledge of sales distribution channels and management of sales and account management functions.
- Thorough knowledge of the industry and marketplace.
- Effective market-based and internal communications skills.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement methods.
- Effective financial management skills.
- Strong knowledge of health plan market lines of business.
- Knowledge of human resources and legal/compliance policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of pricing and underwriting processes.
- Knowledge ofhealth plan administration functions.
- Basic knowledge of public policy, network operations, information technology, and outpatient/clinical operations.
- A minimum of ten to twelve years of broad experience which demonstrates likelihood for success in a market-facing general management role including several of the following areas: sales leadership, new business development, marketing, strategic planning, sales management, pricing, strategy development and communications, and health care operations.Deep understanding of the health care industry, dynamics and managed care environment. Experience in care delivery a plus.A strong market focus is essential.
- Demonstrated ability building and developing high performing, effective teams. Proven track record in recruiting, leading and managing a large staff of professionals.
- Proven track record of growing a business, and a thorough understanding of drivers of health plan profitability.
- Proven ability to influence a complex organization by working across functional and regional lines within a large complex organization. Ability to pull resources from within a region and from other enterprise areas to support success.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategy formulation, market research, sales management and communications.Excellent creative and analytical problem solving skills. Ability to credibly influence decision makers to take action on fact-based recommendations.Strong entrepreneurial style and customer focus.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Bachelor’s degree in related area required.Graduate degree or executive graduate work in business strongly preferred. Equivalent experience may be substituted for degree.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis. Korn/Ferry shall comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in the performance of duties pursuant to this Agreement, including but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and state and local anti-discrimination laws to the extent applicable.